Monday, September 2, 2013

Meet G.R. Holton author of The Mob

When you are getting ready to start a new book, what’s the first thing you do?  I always get a hot cup of coffee with a little cream and sugar, something to nibble on, fill the tank in my eCig with cinnamon flavor, and get ready for the fingers to take off.

How do you celebrate when you finish writing a book? I always do the same thing. I take my wife out to dinner and drink a few margaritas.

Have you had any fun fan moments since you became a writer?  I remember a little girl coming up to a table while I was selling my books. She walked right up to me and told me how much she enjoyed the Squazles and that she is always checking under her bed to see if they have ever come to play under her bed. I couldn’t help but laugh and ask her if she would be afraid of them. She said “No Sir, I would tell them to take me to Squazleland so I can play in the dream factory.”
If you could have dinner, coffee, or drinks with a fictional character, who would you choose and where would you go? I would want to go drinking with Ray Bradbury. I would love to hear about some of the outlandish stories that he never got around to write.

Do you usually begin a book with a character or a plot? It is always the plot. Most of my books are based on dreams. I know how the story begins and that is about it. The characters take off once the plot is figured in.

Do you have any hobbies or special interests you’d care to share? I am highly involved with the little town I live in. I am a board member for the Arts Commission, on the Fourth of July committee, a board member for the Merchants Association, a member of the Friends of the Library, the Finance Officer for the town American Legion, Liaison for the Young Author’s Conference,  and on the Chamber of Commerce.

What was the inspiration for your book? As I alluded to earlier, all my books come from dreams or nightmares whichever the plot may fit.

How difficult is if for you to come up with a title for your books?  The titles always come easy. I know the title when I know the plot.

Who would play your hero/heroine in the tv or film version of your book? I would want to have Jennifer Lawrence to play the dual roles of the twin sisters in Dragon’s Bow.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers? Three words… Faith, Focus, and Patience.
What jobs have you had on your way to becoming a writer? I have done everything from being a Military Police SWAT team leader to driving taxi cabs in Boston, MA. I even delivered balloons in costume at one point in my life.

Did you have any interesting experiences when you were researching your book, or getting it published? The most interesting is working with Karen Fuller at World Castle. She really taught me a lot and gave me a chance to grow. I can never repay her for that.

Who are your favorite authors? What authors have influenced your book? Bradbury, King, Poe….

Are you a pantser or a plotter? I am the true pantser. I don’t plot out things. I let the movie run in my head and let the characters control my hands.

 Where do you write? Oh I have a very dysfunctional little office. It is where I live and breath.
Aside from writing, what do you do in your free time?  Aside from all the commitments to the town I am also an actor with the Gem Players. It is a local acting troupe and I have been in quite a few plays.
Do you prefer print books or eBooks? There is nothing like the smell of a good book.

What's in the works for you? I am working on a Vampire/Pirate story that is taking and rewriting pirate history.

1 comment:

  1. I think GR should invite me to the finished writing celebration. He does it way better than I do!

    ReplyDelete